Support U™ - Fostering Caregiver Wellness
(Formerly Caregiver University)
223 N Yakima Avenue • Tacoma, WA 98403 • 253-722-5691 • E-Mail
A Program for Educating and Supporting Caregivers
Support U™ partners with faith communities, agencies and businesses to make life better for caregivers of adults, with the hope of reducing caregiver "burn out" from trying to "do it all" alone.
Class attendees say:
"Caregiving is so difficult…. Thanks for your efforts to bring support to this population."
"Thank-you so much for having Support U; I highly recommend the sessions."
"I think you've lit my fire on getting a few things in order."
Caregiving Can Be Lots of Fun!
Support U™ Education ...
- Includes six classes of information for caregivers
- Planning Ahead
- Finding, Creating & Using Resources
- Self Care for the Caregiver
- Family Dynamics & Communication
- Dementia, Chronic Illness & the Family
- Financial Well-Being
- Makes teaching easy with detailed presenter notes.
- Can be used to reach out to the community.
- Has usefulness as continuing education for volunteer or paid caregivers.
- Utilizes the ELCA/LCMS Wholeness Wheel.
Support U™ Support comes from…
- Presenters who are experienced caregivers.
- Spiritual resources.
- Other caregivers.
- Broad knowledge gained.
- Ongoing support programs in faith communities.
Lutheran Community Services wishes to thank the following individuals and organizations for their assistance in developing the Support U™ program.
- Marty Richards, MSW, LICSW, author of Caresharing: A Reciprocal Approach to Care giving and Care Receiving in the Complexities of Aging, Illness or Disability
- Phil Edlund, Congregational Relations Manager for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.
- Lutheran Services for the Elderly Endowment (2010- 2012)
- Greater Tacoma Community Foundation (2010)
- Pierce County Aging and Long Term Care (class payment for qualified caregivers)
- Lucky Seven Foundation (2011)
- Forest Foundation (2011-12)
- Individual donors