Providing Foster Care for Unaccompanied Children

by | Jun 26, 2018 | Child Welfare, Refugees & Immigrants | 1 comment

We have been providing foster care for unaccompanied children and youth in need of safety and support here in the United States for more than 30 years. LCS Northwest has two programs that provide these services: Unaccompanied Refugee Minors (URM) in Spokane and Refugees Northwest Foster Care in the Puget Sound area.

All children referred to our care have either crossed into the U.S. alone or were waiting in refugee camps where they had no families to care for them. We do NOT have any children in our care that were forcibly separated from their families at the border. In fact, extensive family tracing efforts are conducted for all youth before they are referred to us, and reunification is a top priority throughout their time in care here.

All youth in these two programs are in our long-term care as the government has found they cannot return home because of grave fear of harm and/or persecution. We work with these youth so that they can heal, thrive, and enrich communities with their many gifts and talents.

Many people have reached out to ask how they can help and support these children. Both URM and Refugees Northwest Foster Care need foster parents. Let us know if you are interested in becoming a foster parent, and pass the word on to any friends or family who might also be interested. If being a foster parent isn’t your thing, please donate to support our foster care efforts. Be sure to note “refugee foster care” in the Gift Designation section of the form.

1 Comment

  1. Jorge Herrero

    My wife and I are interested in fostering, we live in Austin, TX
    I am writing to you because I am hoping to forster children who have not been forcibly removed from their parents.
    Can you help us.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


A- A A+
Make a Difference
Support people in need in your community with a gift today.